Thursday, 28 April 2016

Diary of a Work Experience Girl; John Lewis Edition

Hello Lovelies!

I have been gone again due to an ever-piling workload from university and my own laziness.

BUT, I felt that it was time to step away from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and tell you all about my fortnight at the head offices of John Lewis HQ.

Yes, I went to the building where they think of the Christmas adverts!!

First, I want to express the importance of internships in this career field. Internships and experience are what is going to set you apart from your classmates. Get as much work experience as you can and not only will you be more employable to companies, you'll also learn a lot too!

Now let's talk about John Lewis!!

I was so overwhelmed by the beauty of the building and the amazing people there - I even met Andy Street, the CEO of John Lewis (I know right?!) Everyone was so welcoming and no question was too small or too stupid - at this point I'd like to thank Leah, my boss for the two weeks, for answering every question I threw at her!

Now my place was in Fashion Communications, with four lovely ladies. Each of them were amazing to watch and I learnt so much from them, from how to speak to journalists to why it's so important to find all press coverage each week...let's just say I read a lot of magazines which I loved!

I also was relieved to find that during my time there, unlike any other work experience I have encountered, not once did they ask me draft tweets.

It felt so good!!

It made me realise that social media is not the whole of Fashion PR, no matter how current the internet may seem.

People, in cities especially, pick up a magazines or two and read the newspapers. I was astounded.

I also realised that PR cannot be done from behind a desk. I was constantly running down to buying and to the postroom to pick up and drop off samples for magazines. Fashion PR is so important and getting your brands clothes in magazines is essential for sales and promotion.

I even got to help choose what to send out - like Miranda Priestly in 'Devil Wears Prada'.

Overall my experience there was incredible and I would really love to visit again, maybe one day as an employee!

Thanks for reading,


Jx

No comments: