Tuesday, 8 December 2015

Words matter:

Hello Lovelies!

Last week I attended a copywriting workshop at my university held by the insanely clever and overly wonderful Mary Murtagh at my university.

It was a unbelievably miserable morning and if I'm honest, myself and my friends only went in because it was mandatory.

But as soon as the workshop began, I became very interested in how Mary described her work, and I could feel the passion she had for the written word, especially when she pulled up this phrase on her Powerpoint;

"WORDS MATTER."

I liked her instantly.

After the workshop, I really started thinking about that phrase and how much it resonated with me.

Of course words matter to me, I live and breathe writing and reading and have done probably all my life. For as long as I can remember I have had more books than pairs of shoes and I have sat up until the early hours, not texting or playing games, but reading by lamplight. I used to read about mystical animals in the Harry Potter books and I was totally convinced fairies existed after reading a book called 'Knife'. I fell in love with more book characters than a sane fourteen year old should have.

I have always enjoyed writing. I love to make up stories and if you check my grandparent's old desktop you will probably find hundreds of old stories I started and never finished (along with countless masterpieces I created on Paint) but every time I did it, I loved the creativity and looking at all those beautiful words on the page.

As I have gotten older, I have realised that the kind of words that matter to me have changed. I am now interested in books which have something to say, that speak to me on such levels.

I'm in love with authors such as Caitlin Moran, Helen Fielding, Sharon Marshall and Elizabeth Gilbert who are passionate, beautiful writers who are hard-working journalists as well as novelists and I adore them all equally. I hope to join them in their ranks one day.

I will listen to educated women and men talking and I will read their writing with great pleasure and I live for a piece of poetry or a huge article on something profound.

I live through words and I'm so grateful for the people who have given me books over the years so I can be inspired as I am today.

I want to express myself everyday in a job and if someone asks me,

"What are your going to do with your life?"

I'm going to say that I want to write.


I hope you all enjoy my work and reading my stuff, and please, please read more. Listen to spoken word poetry, read a novel, classic or not and maybe try to describe the person you love with words other than 'fit'.

Thanks for reading,


Jx











No comments: