Friday, 30 October 2015

Sexist Halloween Costumes ¦ My Opinion

Hello Lovelies!

As Halloween is tomorrow, I have decided that today's post is going to address an issue that I and many other women face around this holiday, an issue that is making it scary for all the wrong reasons.

When I think about Halloween costumes, a quote pops into my mind from Miranda in Sex and the City who said;



A quote I believe, that is as valid now as it was when the episode aired.

I recently received an article to read from the Daily Mirror, which highlighted the very limited options when it comes to store-bought Halloween costumes for females. Almost every female costume I have viewed this year has had the word 'sexy' or 'naughty' in the title (although there was one called 'slutty cave girl' which was a refreshing change...)

What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't seem to me like the people who sell these costumes are thinking about the women who don't feel the need to show their flesh or want some more options when it comes to celebrating All Hallow's Eve.

An online survey conducted by My Voucher Codes showed at 51% of women feel that Halloween costumes are offensive on gender grounds. Their researchers put together some gender-swapped Halloween costumes to show consumers the difference in female and male versions of career choices (my favourite is the police uniforms - the lad's got cracking legs!) They showed that female costumes most of the time are skimpy dresses and lack a set of trousers - even though not all women want to dress that way!


I personally believe that these sexualized outfits are going put women off buying online costumes if they don't change their ways: I don't want to be a sexy zombie - I wanna be a zombie!

I also believe that gender neutral costumes are the way forward, especially regarding costumes which are targeted in sizes that are going to fit adolescent teenagers more specifically 14-16 year olds. I don't want my sister's dressing up as sexy kittens - no thank you!


Do you agree with me? Or am I the only one who doesn't want to have a cleavage at Halloween? Leave a comment below and let me know your opinions!

Thanks for reading, 



Jx 


Take a look on My Voucher Codes here

Take a look at the Daily Mirror article here 



(Images courtesy of Google Images)











No comments: