Saturday, 24 October 2015

1 year blogiversary ¦ Thank you for the year;

Hello Lovelies!

Today marks the first birthday of my blog, Diary of a PR girl, and as I sit here I think about how different my life was a year ago. Back to when I was a terrified fresher who secretly missed home and thought newspapers were boring, and ate Domino's pizza a LOT.

Then I started thinking about all the things I wouldn't have done if I hadn't created the blog. I wouldn't have gotten featured in #bestPRblogs by Behind the Spin, I would have never interviewed Crosby Noricks, founder of prcouture.com and I would never have written for a regional newspaper with my own byline without the confidence this blog has given me to say that my work is good and that my work matters.

Besides all that, if I hadn't created the blog, I would have gotten more sleep and not have had to stand up in front of the class and announce my blog to the freshers (thanks Paula!) But I guess those two things are worth it now that over 6,000 views have been gathered in just a year.

I feel like I have had the most extraordinary luck when it comes to writing. Sometimes I'm good and sometimes that words just won't come out and sometimes I sit and write 'ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' for a while until I think of an idea. Creating has been tough, but I guess that's what makes it fun.

Now I'd like to thank some people who have been a real influence on me over this magical year.

Mom and Dad for showing off my blog all the time and being on the other end of the phone whenever something exciting or not that exciting happens. You're both pretty ace.

Auntie Rachel for showing all the ladies at work and being ever so supportive by reading everything I write.

Gran, Grandad and the rest of my close family who read the blog and have kept my first piece of proper journalism in a frame - which makes me feel so proud.

My sisters Demi and Ellie for showing all their friends my blog and becoming my own little PR team on social media (Mash, Bean, Ginge, Jess - thanks for being cool feminists).

My boyfriend Elliot who sometimes reads these when he's not working his ass off. He is very supportive and I am very lucky that he's at the other end of the phone when 'something exciting happens' - again it's not always exciting for him, but he's still pretty cool with it.

My friends, both PR and non-PR, who continue to read my words even when I don't ask. I actually makes me well up thinking about the support system I have around me and for that I can't thank you enough.

My incredible tutor Paula. You have made me into a politics-loving essay-writing, networking machine and I've still got a year left with you! I want to thank you for all the times you've mentioned me to PR people and all the times you ask how the blog is going. I would probably have given up a while ago without your support.

And the last one is for you, reader. Without you, I'd just be a crazy girl writing to the internet. I thank the ones who have been reading for a year and I thank those who have only just started reading (what took you so long?!) because you keep me motivated and inspired. I do this all for you.

Now, that's enough soppiness for one day, now it's time to celebrate the amazing year I've had...

Here's to the next one!

Thanks for always reading,


Jx



No comments: