Thursday, 3 September 2015

How to build a girl: Book Review

Hello Lovelies!

I consider myself a definite bibliophile and throughout my time as one, I have found that I have a pattern in my browsing. 

I happen to enjoy books written by women, (don't ask me why, just do) and, as I have noticed recently, all these women happen to be journalists in some shape or form. 

Maybe I'm attracts by the way they write, or the fact that they have are actually living my dream of becoming a journalist and finally an author. They all write with wit and can address serious topics without fear, as they have a high understanding of their audience through the years,maps practised journalists.

Caitlin Moran, the author of How to build a girl, slowly but surely became an idol to me as I turned the pages, learning about Wolverhampton-stuck Johanna Morrigan and her adolescent struggles. She had basically written down a close account of my life up till now. Her words spoke to me and gave me a huge feeling of pride for the career I wish to pursue. 

Johanna is such a relatable character, with her need to be validated, brandishing her extreme alter ego in Dolly Wilde and her passion as a writer. Inside all of us, there could definitely be a little Johanna Morrigan. 

I enjoy the story immensely and laughed and cried - two things a good book should make you do. I invested in the characters deeply and hope that wherever they end up, that they are happy.

This book for me was a definite 10/10 and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a book full of laughs, and some serious notes too. I look forward to reading the rest of Moran's books and wait eagerly for a sequel. 

Thanks for reading, 


Jx 




No comments: