Monday, 2 February 2015

Book Review: Confessions of a shopaholic

Hello Lovelies!

I've been a bit under the weather recently and today I decided I'd venture, snot-nosed and blurry-eyed, out to do some personal errands in Liverpool. While I was there, I walked past a British Heart Foundation shop with the most beautiful display of books in the window. 

Now there are three things I love in windows; 
Clothes
Make up 
And books.

Being the little bookworm I am, I rushed in heading straight to the book section, eying the shelves for anything that would catch my eye. Cookery books, mind and body books and then finally, the £1 book section. Where the old Mills and Boon novels my gran reads go to die. 

But this £1 book section was impeccable. Shelf after shelf of humorous women's fiction, quirky characters written by women for women. I picked up Dawn French's "A tiny bit marvellous" and Camilla Morton's "How to walk in high heels" (I definitely needed that one, I'm like a baby giraffe in heels) and just as I was leaving, a title caught my eye. 

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella.

I'd watched the movie and fallen in love with Rebecca Bloomwood, the ironic financial journalist with an addiction to shopping. I saw a lot of myself in her...maybe too much.

She was a 25 year old woman with serious credit card debt and while reading this book, I had a momentary fear for my future as a shopaholic. I'm only eighteen, but I was told constantly by my parents to never to get a credit card or I'd be spending money I definitely didn't have.

I'd walk past Chanel and come out in more debt than Greece. Exaggeration you say? I don't think so.

As I began reading, I started noticing patterns in her mind which had happened in mine, and although mine were sporadic, there were patterns I knew far too well. 

Let's just say I got halfway through the book and start working about my savings and personal spending for the next term.

However as fictional women with rejected cards do, Ms Bloomwood indeed ends up coming out on top. But I won't spoil it for you...

If you love a girly, pick me up novel then definitely pick up this book!

It is Joanna Christofi PR Girl approved! 

On another note, I am considering starting up a YouTube channel for vlogging of fashion and beauty events that I attend and different hauls and makeup tutorials. If it gets popular I may start giveaways! Let me know on my Instagram and Twitter if that's something you'd be interested in!

Again guys, thanks for reading!


Jx

Instagram: diaryofa_prgirl
Twitter: diaryofa_prgirl





No comments: