Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Ten tips for student style;

Hello Lovelies!

This is a celebration post as I've just submitted my first assignment! I feel like a wave of achievement is washing over me and I'm feeling good so I thought I'd give you ladies and gents some of my wisdom.

Since I'm a student with a love of expensive clothes, life at uni has not been easy. Dragging myself away from shop windows and begging for a 100% off sale to Dorothy Perkins seems to be all I do these days.

And if anyone actually reads this blog and you're a student with a spending problem too, maybe I can shed a little light on the dark secrets of the 'budget buyer'.

1.) Take a look in a charity shop. I know most people who wear charity shop clothes are usually grannies or hippies but if you search hard enough, I can guarantee there will be something that makes rifling through old jumpers worthwhile. I mean, I found a Laura Ashley blazer under a load of old coats once...just saying

2.) Use your make up sparingly. I am literally the worst with make up. I love wearing it and sometimes when I'm bored I'll do a full face because I fancy taking a shameless selfie. So cut back a bit, let your skin breathe and embrace your natural beauty.

3.) Look through your wardrobe. I know this sounds silly but hear me out! Have you ever looked through your wardrobe and found clothes you didn't even know existed anymore? I can't even count how many times I've fallen into my wardrobe and found a skirt that I thought had long gone extinct. I think you should take a look, especially before buying anything new.

4.) Beg, borrow but don't steal. If you've got friends that are the same size as you, like I do, borrow their clothes! Everyone's style is different and most of the time you can get a really beautiful piece of clothing from a friend. Just as long as you return it.

5.) Make investment purchases. Don't just buy that skirt because 'oooh it's so cute'. You've gotta be a tactical shopper as a student, make sure that you are thinking 'What will this go with?' constantly. For example, if buying a new top, will it go with skirts? Trousers? Shorts? and is it the right colour?

6.) Avoid the expensive places. MAC, Jo Malone, and all the beautiful places that makes you slightly queasy when you check the price tag. I know I went to MAC recently, but I'm weak and I'm trying to save you lovely people from my mistakes. I'm a guinea pig who spends all her money. Word to the wise, don't go to the metquarter in Liverpool if you're on a budget...you may never eat again.

7.) Create your own. If you're a little creative whiz why not customize some old clothes and make them fancy? And if you're not, you could stick on a youtube video and easily learn how to embellish, hem and bedazzle any clothing you want.

8.) Don't forget to budget! I know it's tempting to spend your entire student loan when it comes in. I know people who booked holidays and are now living on beans. Don't be that person! Set yourself limits on how much you want to spend on clothing, make up and accessories a week and stick to it! You'll thank me later!

9.) Try to only buy necessities. It will help you save money instead of spending it on rubbish like scented nail polish (which I have done - it didn't even smell like melon).

10.) Feel fabulous, look fabulous. Honestly, this is important. Being a student really messes with your sleeping, eating and drinking patterns. You will find yourself eating at 3am and sleeping till 3pm. But you've got to try and fight it! If you've got a lecture at 9am and you're falling asleep at 7am, you're not gonna feel good or learn anything. So try to sleep well, eat well and get plenty of exercise - it'll make you feel unstoppable! 

So there you have it, my top ten tips on being a stylish student!

Good luck, thanks for reading and I'll see you next time!


Jx

Instagram; lilfashion_blogger
Twitter: lilfashion_blog


No comments: